tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale Ogilvie" <Dale.Ogil...@trimble.co.nz>
Subject RE: Tomcat5.5: Apache Tomcat Native library ... not found
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:09:07 GMT

Perhaps the INFO message needs to sound less alarming? It sounds like it
is describing a quality bug to me, akin to running tomcat in
"development" mode if you are not using APR. If the missing library is
not really required for production use, how about:

INFO: The optional Apache Tomcat Native library was not found on the
java.library.path: See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/apr.html
for more information.

I take your point about it being an INFO level message, but perhaps that
gets lost in the "optimal performance in production" phrase.

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Saturday, 2 October 2010 5:11 a.m.
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Tomcat5.5: Apache Tomcat Native library ... not found

> From: Steve Ryder [mailto:sryder@jsrsys.com]
> Subject: Tomcat5.5: Apache Tomcat Native library ... not found

> How do it fix this?
> INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
> performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path:

There's nothing to "fix" - it's an INFO message.  If you want to use
APR, read the doc about building and installing it for your platform.
Note that it uses a completely different SSL mechanism than the pure
Java connectors.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/apr.html

 - Chuck