tomcat-users mailing list archives

From dB. <dbl...@dblock.org>
Subject RE: Starting/Stopping Tomcat from Java program
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:46:52 GMT
Since the question is how to do this from Java, don't go shelling out net start/stop on Windows
:) Use JNA (http://jna.dev.java.net) , someone just recently committed complete support for
Windows services. Stopping a service looks like this:

	W32ServiceManager serviceManager = new W32ServiceManager();
	W32Service service = serviceManager.openService("tomcat", Winsvc.SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS);
	service.stopService();
	service.close();

-dB.

dB. @ dblock.org
Moscow|Geneva|Seattle|New York

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 9:34 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Starting/Stopping Tomcat from Java program

Hi.

I do not really understand the issue here.
If you are under Windows, with Tomcat running as a Service, then you can just run the commands
"net start tomcat6" / "net stop tomcat6" to start/stop tomcat.
If you are under Linux, then you can just issue the command "/etc/init.d/tomcat6 (start|stop)".
Under most Unixes, the procedure is similar.
So where is the problem ?

Rob Gregory wrote:
> I call the scripts via code to both stop and start Tomcat. There is a
> problem with even calling these scripts via Unix unless you change
> (cd) into the bin directory before running startup.sh as the log paths
> are generated relative to the startup.sh location.
>

> 	String strCatalinaBin = System.getenv("CATALINA_HOME") + "\\bin\\";
> 	File objDir = new File(strCatalinaBin);
> 	r = Runtime.getRuntime();
> 	p = r.exec(new String[] { "cmd.exe", "/C", "start", strCatalinaBin +
> "catalina.bat", "start" }, null, objDir);
>
> 	p.waitFor();
> 	p.destroy();
>
> Hope this helps.
> Rob