tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ðavîd Låndïs <dlan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Splitting Content Across Multiple Domains
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 01:56:17 GMT
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

> I think you may be wasting your time.  Have you determined that you actually have a
performance problem, or are you fixing a non-existent problem?

I don't expect the technique to make that much difference on its own,
but it's an architecture that seems like it would better facilitate
creating a cookie-free domain as well as eventually migrating to a
CDN. But I guess that's part of my problem, I haven't been able to
find any information on splitting content across multiple domains
while still protecting the stuff that is outside the primary app. And
don't worry I don't want to do anything too crazy with hacking
jsession Ids I'm more just wondering if there is a legitimate way to
actually accomplish this on Tomcat.

> The cited article is over three years old, and since then all of the popular browsers
have increased their default for the number of parallel connections to something larger than
two - usually six.  I'd suggest just putting things back the way they were, so your images
are automatically protected by the main logon.

Yes you are right, here is a handy site listing the differences
between some of the browsers we are supporting:

http://www.browserscope.org/?category=network&v=1&ua=Chrome%205,Chrome%206,Firefox%202,Firefox%203,IE%206,IE%207,IE%208,Safari%204,Safari%205

And in the business world as I'm sure you know, "popular" still means
IE 6 and IE 7. Anyway I am just investigating the technique at this
point, thanks for your response.