tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat memory leak error launching web app in NetBeans 6.9.1
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2010 13:59:06 GMT
> From: Martin O'Shea [mailto:appy74@dsl.pipex.com]
> Subject: Tomcat memory leak error launching web app in NetBeans 6.9.1

> 16-Oct-2010 12:20:18 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
> [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very
> likely to create a memory leak.

The above message is displayed when a webapp is *stopped*, not started (including Tomcat shutdown).

> I don't know if it is a problem with Tomcat or Quartz
> so any help is welcome

Neither - it's an error in your webapp due to its failure to manage resources that it is using.
 If your webapp starts a thread, your webapp must be prepared to stop the thread during shutdown.
 This is usually accomplished by configuring and implementing a ServletContextListener in
your webapp.

 - Chuck