tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Disable class monitoring for reloading container classes
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2010 02:14:30 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Disable class monitoring for reloading container classes

> The timestamp of the file should be /the/ timestamp for the
> file, and shouldn't be affected by the current DST settings.
> The timestamp for the file itself might be affected by the
> current DST setting when you /touch/ it, but not when you do
> a simple stat() call.

My guess is that the problem is specific to the platform: either the JVM or the OS is adjusting
the retrieved time stamp, making it relative to the current offset from UTC.  Even though
this particular OS is not widely used as a Java EE platform (compared to the number of Linux
and Windows boxes out there), I'm a bit surprised the issue hasn't been reported elsewhere.

Try using simple Java and C programs to check the File.lastModified() and stat() st_mtime
values respectively, comparing the results both before and after the DST switch.  That should
determine if the problem is in the OS, the JVM, or Tomcat.

 - Chuck