tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk 1.2.28 errors
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:14:59 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 26/10/2010 00:05, Hannaoui, Mo wrote:

>> worker.template.ping_mode=A
>>
>> worker.template.reply_timeout=30000
>> worker.template.socket_connect_timeout=10000
>> worker.template.socket_timeout=10
>> worker.template.connection_pool_timeout=600
>
> I can't get to the jk docs docs at the moment, but that socket_timeout
> seems a little low.  Are those the defaults?

1) What happens when you just leave the line

 >> worker.template.ping_mode=A

and *remove* all the other timeout-related lines (to let the defaults be configured) ?

2) About the Tomcat-side configuration :

 >     <Connector port="8009" address="${jboss.bind.address}"
 > protocol="AJP/1.3"
 >
 >          emptySessionPath="true" enableLookups="false"
 > redirectPort="8443"
 >
 >         maxThreads="800" connectionTimeout="600000"/>

You have MaxClients=250 at the Apache side, and maxThreads=800 at the Tomcat side (2
times, because 2 Tomcats).  Unless each Apache client can issue several requests to
Tomcat(s) at the same time, that seems a bit unbalanced.
Also, connectionTimeout="600000" means that when a client makes a connection but does not

send a request on it, Tomcat is going to keep a thread busy, waiting 600 seconds (10
minutes) until the client deigns sending something.
After you change it, you should then go back to the explanation of connection_pool_timeout

in http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html, to resynchronise that side.

Better yet probably, restart from the default values for everything, and start modifying
from the defaults only if you really have a problem.  The default values are chosen
sensibly, for a range of situations.  Playing around with them usually makes things worse

rather than better.
I would leave the
worker.template.ping_mode=A
as it is however.