tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Urgent: how to run htaccess on tomcat
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:22:47 GMT
abhishek jain wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:31 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> abhishek jain wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM, abhishek jain
>>> <abhishek.netjain@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi friends,

>>> I want to run PHP and jsp pages, and I need index.php as the default page.
>>> Also, I need to use .htaccess and not tomcats urlrewritefilter or so.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, this does not really clarify things.
>>
>> Some things, which may be relevant or not, depending on your configuration
>> :
>> - Tomcat does not care at all about .htaccess; that is purely "an Apache
>> httpd thing".
>>  (In other words, you cannot make Tomcat be "aware" of .htaccess)
>> - Usually, it is a bad idea to share the same application directories
>> between Apache httpd and Tomcat
>> - Usually also, when Apache httpd and Tomcat work together, this is done
>> via a "connector", and it may be possible at that level to do something
>> about .htaccess.
>>
>> But you are not telling us anything about your configuration, OS, setup
>> etc.. so it is difficult to help.
>> Main thing here : how are Apache httpd and Tomcat connected to eachother ?
>>

> Hi
> Sorry for not clarifying at first place,
>
> I have a cpanel setup with the following configuration in cp_jkmount.conf
> for that virtualhost
>
> <IfModule mod_jk.c>
>   JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
>   JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
>   JkMount /servlets/* ajp13
>  JkMount /* ajp13
>         JkUnMount /cart/* ajp13
>         JkUnMount /blog/* ajp13
>         JkUnMount /images/* ajp13
>         JkUnMount /images-ns/* ajp13
>         JkUnMount /*.php ajp13
>         JkUnMount /*.html ajp13
>         JkUnMount /*.htm ajp13
>         JkUnMount /*.htaccess ajp13
> </IfModule>
>
> yes there must be a connector and I am not sure what it is , how do i know
> of that.
> I have Centos 5.x as the OS.

The above tends to indicate that the connector is mod_jk.
(The question being if this configuration is really enabled, since it is conditional).
But let's imagine that it is.

First, one remark :
these lines :
 >   JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
 >   JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
 >   JkMount /servlets/* ajp13

are useless, because the next line

 >  JkMount /* ajp13

overrides them all.

So basically you are passing everything to Tomcat, except the URLs which match any of your

JkUnMount lines.
Second critic :
 From a security point of view, it would be better to do the opposite : /only/ forward to

Tomcat the specific URLs that need to be processed by Tomcat.  Like this maybe :

<IfModule mod_jk.c>
    JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
    JkMount /servlet/* ajp13
    JkMount /servlets/* ajp13
</IfModule>

Now, you still need to explain what you are trying to achieve.

Where in this, and for what reason, does .htaccess need to be involved ?
What is the content of the .htaccess file ? (remove any private info)