tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject what is it doing ?
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:40:17 GMT
Hi.

I have a Linux system like so :

Linux arthur 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Mon Aug 30 07:01:57 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

with a tomcat like so :

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5.5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun
Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5
Server built:   Oct 15 2008 12:57:44
Server number:  5.5.26.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     2.6.26-2-686
Architecture:   i386
JVM Version:    1.5.0_22-b03
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

(Java JDK installed)

and where night and day, tomcat seems to be using a fair amount of CPU time, like so :

  2901 tomcat55  20   0  459m 285m  16m S   13 32.3 354:39.13 java

although by all means, it should not be doing that much sometimes.

How can I figure out what it is actually doing ?
I mean, which is the easiest standard tool or procedure not requiring a degree in quantum

physics, and which could give me at least a rough idea of which webapp or internal tomcat

process is keeping that CPU busy all the time ?

I have a nagging feeling that someone is going to tell me to take thread dumps.  If so,
maybe they would also kindly point out a place where I could find some instructions as to

how to interpret such a thing ?

Thanks