tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Disable class monitoring for reloading container classes
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:59:48 GMT

On 10/14/2010 11:42 AM, Jane Muse wrote:
>  Chris wrote:
> <It's probably not necessary to comment-out the <WatchedResource>
> We didn't change <WatchedResource> in context.xml from how it was
> installed in tomcat 6.0.18. The default is commented out. But thanks for
> the info.

That's not what Subversion says:

Someone has modified this file.

> <If you have a standard server.xml, that means that APP_NAME will be
> deployed to "/APP_NAME" automatically, unless you have <Host
> <autoDeploy="false">.
> And if autoDeploy="false" then you have to shutdown tomcat, delete the
> CATALINA_BASE/WEBAPPS/APP_NAME directory, and restart tomcat in order
> for the webapp to deploy, correct? I think we'll do it this way in the
> production environment.

If you really are using
CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/[appname].xml, then I
wouldn't expect anything to be copied into CATALINA_BASE/webapps during
deployment. Instead, the WAR should be exploded into the
CATALINA_BASE/work directory. You should definitely delete that if you
intend to re-deploy your webapp.

When you re-deploy, you should either check
CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/[appname].xml or delete it
and update it from your canonical source
(COMPANY_NAME/APP_CONF/DIR/app_name.xml or was it
COMPANY_NAME/APP_CONF_DIR/APP_NAME.xml... it wasn't at all clear from
your previous message).

> <you must remove the "path" attribute from the <Context>
> <element:
> Ok, I removed it. It's not necessary because the name of the.xml file
> will be used as the context path, correct?

It's actually illegal. I wish someone would apply a patch that would
refuse to deploy a context with the path specified in it. It's probably
too much of a pain to code it so that it knows when it's actually legal
(when it's in server.xml, which is not recommended).

> <we'd love to hear the resolution of the file timestamp changing when
> DST kicks-in
> I'll definitely let you know!

Good luck,
- -chris