tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Caine <step...@commongrnd.com>
Subject Re: Tabbed browsers sharing session - work around.
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:16:55 GMT
Rob,

The way you describe session sharing is indeed a problem.  The way we deal with this is to
use a separate database table to keep track of window ids.  A unique value is assigned when
a window is opened and maintained until the window is closed.  Although the session may be
the same for all open windows (tabs), the window id is unique.  Significant values are posted
to the window table and retrieved based on the window id.

If there is another method using a Tomcat centric approach, I would love to hear about it.

Stephen

On Oct 5, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Ronald Klop wrote:

> Rob,
>
> IE 6 is even more confusing. If you open a new window with ctrl-N you have the same session
sharing as with tabs. Only if you click the IE6-icon to start a new instance of the process
it will not share them. Opening a new tab in IE7 is like using ctrl-n to open a new window
in IE6.

> Ronald.
>

> Op dinsdag, 5 oktober 2010 10:26 schreef Rob Gregory <Rob.Gregory@ibsolutions.com>:
>> Hi Chris,
>> Is there any way to dynamically create these contexts or do they require a live.xml,
test.xml, etc within conf/Catalina/localhost. The multiple contexts would be my preferred
approach although I would like to achieve this with a single code base if this is possible.
The multiple environments are driven purely by the backend database connection, i.e. the code
is the same with the only difference being where the data is being saved to. Hence the requirement
to stop the browser sharing the same session when in different database connections. I'm surprised
that other people are not having the same issues since the browser manufacturers decided to
make this crazy change to session management between tabs/instances and suddenly share the
same session. In I.E.6 two browser instances would be two separate sessions. I.E.7 they are
the same session! Thanks for your input.