tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Siegmar <>
Subject Re: Inconsistent output of Java 5 enums
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 14:19:16 GMT

On Friday 15 October 2010 16:11:29 Christopher Schultz wrote:
> > not. Sorry for the confusion. So this is a simplified example for my enum:
> You're right: that was stupid of me. I had forgotten your toString method.
> Uh... why override the toString method like that?

Well, as written in java.lang.Enum:

An enum type should override this method when a more "programmer-friendly"
string form exists.

> > The thing is, that EL is using the name() method to print the enum and
> > JSTL is using toString(). I did not expect a different enum treatment
> > here.
> If you need it to emit the same thing, doing:
> <c:out value="${}"/>

No, because that would call a method getName() which doesn't exist - the
method is named name().

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message