tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Faro Stephen (NHS Connecting for Health)" <stephen.f...@nhs.net>
Subject Unexpected errors after opening port 80
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:33:26 GMT
I am running a Tomcat server on Windows Server 2003 RC2 over HTTPS (443). The server has been
running smoothly for many months with 100s of thousands of daily transactions.

Yesterday my networks team modified the firewall rules to permit traffic on port 80, it could
be a coincidence but after this we had 8 errors calling Oracle Procedures on a separate Unix
based Oracle DB server and 2 errors connecting to a remote API. These errors were unspecific
and we believe they were due to network timeouts / dropped packets, as a last resort we restarted
the Tomcat server and have not seen any errors since. The only reference to port 80 in the
Tomcat config is (server.xml)...

<Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
connectionTimeout="20000"
redirectPort="443" />

I am not a Tomcat expert and don't fully understand Tomcats Thread Pooling but could this
be in any way related to our errors observed before the restart?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

Stephen Faro
Analyst Programmer

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please
inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in
reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and
Scotland
NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail
and GSI recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail