tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sunil A V <sunil...@infosys.com>
Subject Tomcat Web App - Strange Issue - Need 2 restarts for SSO mode to work
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:36:49 GMT
Hi,

We have a web application deployed on Tomcat server and is working pretty fine, except in
one mode. The web application is available through 2 modes of links - one is regular without
load balacer and other is Single Sign On based through load balancer. The normal mode works
fine with one start after new war deployment. However SSO link through load balancer does
not work fine. When stooped and started again, it works just fine.

Here is the sample directory structure:
Tomcat
                webapps
                                MyApp
                                                WEB-INF
                                                                web.xml
                                                                jsp
                                                                                myapp.jsp
                                MyApp.war
                bin
                logs
                conf
                                web.xml

Deployment Procedure:
Stop the server
Copy the new war to webapps replacing the old one
remove the complete diretcory of MyApp recursively (rm -rf MyApp)
start the server

Issue:
We try both the links of application. The normal one works just fine first time itself. The
SSO link shows up the directory listings page of webapps directory showing the MyApp.war and
MyApp directory link.
Now all we need to workaround this is just stop the server again and then start it. Surprisingly
both SSO mode link and normal works totally fine.
This is recurring problem. Is there a proper permanent fix to this?

Please note the web.xml in Tomcat/conf directory has below
<servlet>
<servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
<init-param>
<param-name>listings</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>
</servlet>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

Please note the web.xml in Tomcat/webapps/MyApp/WEB-INF directory has below
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>myapp.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

The application has only myapp.jsp and none of index.* files

myapp.jsp is as below

Somehow first time when new war is deployed, old exploded directory is deleted and server
is started, the Tomcat might not be finding xcard.jsp or the application specific web.xml
and hence it is listings the directory based on settings in Tomcat/conf/web.xml.  No exceptions
in log file.
Second time however it finds the web.xml and xcard.jsp and hence works.

We even tried changing deployment procedure not to delete the exploded directory and rest
of steps same. But it does not help either. If we drop the new war while the server is running,
it does not take the changes in new war.

~Sunil