tomcat-users mailing list archives

From michel <compu...@videotron.ca>
Subject Re: URL Rewrite
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 09:41:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pid" <pid@pidster.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: URL Rewrite

On 05/09/2010 23:40, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM, michel <compukat@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> Or, uh, just don't *ever* use relative links, period.
>
>> Sorry, but I don't understand why. In most cases relative links are
>> great,
>> simply because they are 'self-updating' when the page gets moved.
>
> ? Obviously not. If you move a page with relative links up or down
> a hierarchy (whether by actually moving it or referencing it from
> "somewhere else", as in this case) it's broken. Period.

+1  Michel, you have this the wrong way round.

>> Hard-coding is a last-resort solution.

I don't believe I used relative links anywhere in the last 7 or 8 years.

> No, it's the only sane way to write URLs. Sorry, I've spent too much
> time in the last 15 years fixing pointlessly broken stuff because other
> people thought the same thing.

+1

NB: if your best solution is to add the rarely* used <base href=, then
you are, in effect, causing the links to behave as absolute ones.

* It's rare for a reason.

PID, I would think that whatever method a person uses, it can bring
problems. There is enough software out there to check a site for broken
links, better to use them when making changes, even if they aren't totally
reliable. Funny about them, one claimed I had 12 broken links and wanted $5
to tell me what they are, while free ones found 1 or 2. A fourth software
claimed 38 broken links and wanted a credit card number to tell me what they
where. I am keeping my $5 and my credit card number.

Michel