tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: URL Rewrite
Date Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:40:44 GMT
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM, michel <compukat@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Or, uh, just don't *ever* use relative links, period.

> Sorry, but I don't understand why. In most cases relative links are great,
> simply because they are 'self-updating' when the page gets moved.

? Obviously not. If you move a page with relative links up or down
a hierarchy (whether by actually moving it or referencing it from
"somewhere else", as in this case) it's broken. Period.

> Hard-coding is a last-resort solution.

No, it's the only sane way to write URLs. Sorry, I've spent too much
time in the last 15 years fixing pointlessly broken stuff because other
people thought the same thing.

twitter: @hassan