tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: catalina.log getting bigger causing fillup file system on unix
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:58:06 GMT
Kishore,

if you do not know, then maybe you should not write things that will confuse others even
more.

Kishore Kumar Manthangod wrote:
> Could you check your log4j configured to show class name?

.. not really relevant or useful in this case

Biren,

Mark already gave you the answer, but I'll try again :

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Patel, Biren G <bpatel@telcordia.com>wrote:
>
>> Here is the logs from original email:
>>
>> Sep 16, 2010 12:55:54 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

>> INFO: cgi: runCGI: write("dd  ADD:00  <=== ** look here **

>> 09/16/2010 10:13:02  0600912345  0505266A9153   9153  add   ADD:00

The above most probably means that Tomcat is running a cgi-bin script, and that it is this

cgi-bin script (which is not a part of Tomcat) which is writing these lines on its STDOUT.
(for example, if this script is a shell script, it could just be doing "echo" or "print")

Whatever is written to STDOUT is then captured by Tomcat's standard logger, and ends up in

catalina.log.

Find that cgi-bin script, find out why it is writing this, and you will have your answer.

Again, as Mark wrote the first time, it is not directly Tomcat code writing these lines.
It is an external script, part of an application which Tomcat has been asked to run.
The Tomcat logging code is just the intermediate mail-man here.