tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi level webapp
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:11:10 GMT
On 09/09/2010 14:21, Wesley Acheson wrote:
> Oscar,
>
> I've only one last suggestion if you need it to work this way. And
> that would be to front tomcat with apache httpd.
>
> Use mod_proxy_http or similar along with a rewrite rule.

Bad idea. I have seen far too many apps break in all sorts of weird and
wonderful ways when you change the context path in your reverse proxy.

> I don't
> understand why path would be ignored in context.xml but that is the
> way it is, and I wasn't looking at these lists when that decision was
> taken.

Because:
- it is unnecessary
- it makes the auto deploy code significantly more complex for little /
no gain
- it often results in double deployment

Another option - given the fixing the broken web app doesn't seem to be
acceptable - is disable autoDeploy and deployOnStartup and hard code the
context paths in server.xml

Mark