tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Unexpected errors after opening port 80
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2010 14:46:25 GMT
On 03/09/2010 15:33, Faro Stephen (NHS Connecting for Health) wrote:
> I am running a Tomcat server on Windows Server 2003 RC2 over HTTPS (443). The server
has been running smoothly for many months with 100s of thousands of daily transactions.

Excellent.

> Yesterday my networks team modified the firewall rules to permit traffic on port 80,
it could be a coincidence but after this we had 8 errors calling Oracle Procedures on a separate
Unix based Oracle DB server and 2 errors connecting to a remote API. These errors were unspecific
and we believe they were due to network timeouts / dropped packets, as a last resort we restarted
the Tomcat server and have not seen any errors since. The only reference to port 80 in the
Tomcat config is (server.xml)...

So the server was internal only before?

> <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
> port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
> connectionTimeout="20000"
> redirectPort="443" />
>
> I am not a Tomcat expert and don't fully understand Tomcats Thread Pooling but could
this be in any way related to our errors observed before the restart?

The errors you describe are pretty vague, it's hard to know what we're
responding to.

If you have an Executor configured, and referenced in the Connector, the
latter uses the associated thread pool, which has some advantages.

How does this have any bearing on a firewall port being opening and some
database errors?

> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen Faro
> Analyst Programmer
>

> ********************************************************************************************************************
>
> This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
please inform the
> sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
> Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action
in reliance on its contents:
> to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
> Thank you for your co-operation.
>
> NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England
and Scotland
> NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with
NHSmail and GSI recipients