tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jordan Michaels <jor...@viviotech.net>
Subject Re: Host Manager.
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 20:42:52 GMT
I'd be interested as well. I've actually been meaning to get to this
myself and submit a patch to make the changes persist, but my schedule
has been too hectic for any extra-curricular work recently. If you don't
(and I'm hoping you will)... I will get to it eventually. ;)

-Jordan

>> From: Wesley Acheson [mailto:wesley.acheson@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Host Manager.
>
>> Is there is no documentation for the host-manager?
>
> Very little that I've found.  You can learn a bit about it by looking at its WEB-INF/web.xml
file.

>> If I remember correctly from this list it doesn't persist
>> its settings is that correct?
>
> Correct.
>
>> How many people would be interested in it persisting its
>> settings, by editing the appropriate files.
>
> I would be interested.  Note that there's only one file to edit: conf/server.xml.
>
>> Is that in theory possible?
>
> It's all software...
>
>> to add the folder structure and the appropiate
>> context.xml files.
>
> That's not necessary - the conf/Catalina/[host]/... files are already created automatically
as webapps are deployed under the new<Host>.  Only conf/server.xml needs to be updated.

>> Would it interfere too badly with tomcat while
>> it was running?
>
> No, Tomcat only reads server.xml during startup.  Whatever update mechanism is used must
insure that the file is never in an unparsable state (e.g., don't update in place, instead
create a new file and then rename it).