tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marc Chamberlin <m...@marcchamberlin.com>
Subject Re: Question on SSI
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 04:45:32 GMT
  On 9/1/2010 4:25 PM, Wesley Acheson wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Marc Chamberlin
> <marc@marcchamberlin.com <mailto:marc@marcchamberlin.com>> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Wesley!!! That did the trick, and yes, shtml does not work... But
> > this should be ok for our needs, our users don't create .shtml
> files, and
> > this also worked for .jsp and .htm files as well as .html...
> Documentation
> > on the Tomcat site should be updated to discuss this, IMHO... And it
> might
> > be an interesting exercise to figure out how to make this work for
> all files
> > if one is looking for exercises... ;-)
> >>

> For the record, the documentation actually does say it.  You need to
> know what mime types are though.
>
> *contentType* - A regex pattern that must be matched before SSI
> processing is applied. When crafting your own pattern, don't forget
> that a mime content type may be followed by an optional character set
> in the form "mime/type; charset=set" that you must take into account.
> Default is "text/x-server-parsed-html(;.*)?".
>
> Green emphisis assuming the mailing list allows html mail is mine.
Perhaps this does say it, Wesley, but I am going to argue that, like a
lot of documentation, too much is assumed about the readers level of
background understanding. In this instance, as an outsider, I do not
understand the model inside the Tomcat server about just how the
contentType parameter is going to be used, or what
"text/x-server-parsed-html(;.*)?" is, does, or will do. Internet
searches resulted in nothing informative, so to me this is a black box
using a magic incantation and I do not have a way to grok how to
manipulate it. Same applies to your answer of using "text/html(;.*)?"
for the content type. This is perhaps a very unusual form of a reg
expression, if I were to interpret it, I would guess it is trying to
match a string "text/html; followed by an arbitrary set of characters,
but I cannot be certain, and perhaps the semi-colon is being used in a
way that I am unfamiliar with... And if I am correct, I still do not
understand what string is being matched against, though I might take a
wild guess and guess that it is matching the content declaration in the
meta tag of an html document... but then I got no clue what
"test/x-server-parsed-html(;.*)?" is going to match against, and I
cannot find any information about such a document type, so I remain lost...

Some mime types are more intuitive than others, but not entirely. While
I can understand the need to associate simpler concepts, like a jpeg
image with something to handle .jpeg files, I really cannot say I
understand the mapping fully to understand just how that mapping is
done. Many sites are willing to list these mime types and repeat the
same sort of list that is found in the web.xml file, but they do not
reveal just what is going to happen or how the mapping gets
modeled/translated into an action.

So, IMHO what is needed is some additional links in the documentation,
to places where concepts such as these are better defined...

> Also as a side note you can have multiple mappings for one filter.So
> in production based on your requirements I'd do the following
>
> <filter-mapping>
> <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
> <url-pattern>*.html</url-
> pattern>
> </filter-mapping>
>
> <filter-mapping>
> <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
> <url-pattern>*.htm</url-
> pattern>
> </filter-mapping>
>
> <filter-mapping>
> <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
> <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-
> pattern>
> </filter-mapping>
>

> That should fix it.  In case your wondering what mime types that are
> used in tomcat they are all listed in the web.xml in the conf
> subfolder of tomcat.
Again thanks for your taking the time to help me, and I know I got a lot
of learning to do yet... I will add your additional filter-mappings to
my web.xml file, as it seems to be more limiting/appropriate.

As for the list of mime types, see my above comment, a simple list is
not sufficient for me to understand how and why a particular mime type
item should be used... An reading the official documents on mime types
is pretty intimidating/overwhelming... What is needed is a link to a
simple boiled down description that allows the user to quickly grasp and
understand these concepts..

    Marc...