tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Szynol <pj...@columbia.edu>
Subject Re: FileUploadBase$IOFileUploadException
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 03:27:19 GMT

Hey, Chris,

I checked the temp directory in catalina.sh and also by adding this line
to the the ContextListener class:

         System.out.println("Temp dir: "
                 + (event.getServletContext()
                         .getAttribute("javax.servlet.context.tempdir"))
                         .toString());

The latter is a subdirectory of the former; Tomcat has read/write access
to both places.

I do create a temporary local copy of the image on disk (by using native
Java IO classes), so I am able to access the file system without a
problem (ultimately, the images are stored in a database). It looks like
fileupload is meant to store a temporary version of the image during the
upload, presumably to minimize memory usage.  This is where the fail is
happening, if the image exceeds the threshold size.  I've monitored both
temporary directories during the upload, and indeed nothing is being
written to them.

I guess I can increase the threshold size to a higher value to prevent
the exception by avoiding the file system write altogether, but I worry
that if the application has many users uploading large images
concurrently, this set up will quickly lead to fatal out of memory
errors. :(

I've sent an inquiry to the apache commons user mailing list.  I will
follow up here when I hear back.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Best,
Paul