tomcat-users mailing list archives

From AVSUNIL <sunil...@infosys.com>
Subject Tomcat Web App - Strange issue. Requires 2 restart for SSO mode to work
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 04:08:41 GMT

Hi,

I have a small web application deployed on Tomcat server and is is working
pretty fine, except in one mode. The web application is available through 2
modes of links - one is regular and other is Single Sign On based.

Here is the sample directory structure:
Tomcat
  	webapps
		MyApp
			WEB-INF
				web.xml
				jsp
					myapp.jsp
		MyApp.war
  	bin
  	logs
  	conf
		web.xml

Deployment Procedure:
Stop the server
Copy the new war to webapps replacing the old one
remove the complete diretcory of MyApp recursively (rm -rf MyApp)
start the server

Issue:
We try both the links of application. The normal one works just fine first
time itself. The SSO link shows up the directory listings page of webapps
directory showing the MyApp.war and MyApp directory link.
Now all we need to workaround this is just stop the server again and then
start it. Surprisingly both SSO mode link and normal works totally fine.
This is recurring problem. Is there a proper permanent fix to this?

Please note the web.xml in Tomcat/conf directory has below
<servlet>
<servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
<init-param>
<param-name>listings</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>
</servlet>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

Please note the web.xml in Tomcat/webapps/MyApp/WEB-INF directory has below
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>myapp.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

The application has only myapp.jsp and none of index.* files

myapp.jsp is as below

Somehow first time when new war is deployed, old exploded diretcory is
deleted and server is started, the Tomcat might not be finding xcard.jsp or
the application specific web.xml and hence it is listings the directory
based on settings in Tomcat/conf/web.xml
Second time however it finds the web.xml and xcard.jsp and hence works.

We even tried changing deployment procedure not to delete the exploded
directory and rest of steps same. But it does not help either. If we drop
the new war while the server is running, it does not take the changes in new
war.