tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Miller, Kevin R" <kevin.r.mil...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Random file generation
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:44:00 GMT
My initial testing was with Firefox running on Solaris 10.  I just tested with Firefox 3.6.8
on Windows XP and got the same behavior.  One difference is that windows did not try to name
it a .exe file it instead just called it a random name with the .part extension.   When I
attempted to use Internet Explorer 7 I did not reveive the prompt to save the file but instead
got a web page that had       (5 square boxes to represent binary data).

Any idea what this data is that is being sent to me?  I also ran a snoop from the system running
tomcat and was able to confirm that Tomcat did send the 7 bytes of data.

-----Original Message-----
From: André W
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 2:18 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Random file generation

Miller, Kevin R wrote:
> I am running Tomcat 6.0.26 on a Solaris 10 system.  The Tomcat server is configured to
listen to HTTPS communications on port 8443.  When browsing to the Tomcat server remotely
using the following syntax everything works as expected:
> https://10.10.10.10:8443/
>
> If however we accidentally leave out the "s" in https like this:
> http://10.10.10.10:8443/
>
> The Tomcat server responds with a 7 byte .exe file to download.  Each time we make the
request again it generates a new .exe file with a different name (cd64dni2.exe or z0v8671g.exe
for example).  The exe fail fails to execute on a windows system.   The contents of all of
the exe files are exactly the same (binary data)

> If I run an od on the file I get the following:
> $od cd64dni2.exe
> 0000000 001425 000001 001002 000012
> 0000007
>

> Can anyone explain what this file is and why it is getting generated?

Not before we are sure that it is really being generated.

Which browser are you using, and have you tried another one to check if the symptoms are
the same ?

Additionally, get a browser plugin such as Fiddler2 (for IE) or HttpFox (for Firefox),
activate the plugin, then look at what your browser is *really* receiving from the server.

Purpose :
Some versions of IE have a habit of "second-guessing" the server (which it should not be
doing according to the HTTP RFC), and deciding itself that what the server sends back is
this or that, even when the server says otherwise.
You will want to make sure that your Tomcat is really sending back this "thing", and that

it is not just the browser saying that it is this thing.

Note that the plugins above are invaluable tools to quickly diagnose browser/server
conversation issues, so you will not lose your time downloading and installing one of them

anway.