tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Stewart, Kevin L. (GSFC-417.0)[CONSTELLATION SOFTWARE ENGINEERING]" <kevin.l.stew...@nasa.gov>
Subject Procrun problems with Tomcat 6 on Windows 64-bit
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:21:56 GMT
Hi, I've been looking on the web and the Tomcat wiki and haven't found any solution to this
problem.

I have a 64-bit Windows 2008 server with Java 1.6_20 (64-bit) and 64-bit tomcat 6.0.26 (6.0.29
also) installed as a service.  I also have a Liferay portal that I need to install.  But I
am having problems with the startup.  (BTW, I use the tomcat6w.exe gui mostly.)  If I use
startmode=jvm, the Spring framework in Liferay loops until I get a StackOverflowException,
no matter the stack size.  However, if I start with startmode=java the Spring framework initializes
correctly, however some logs appear in the java directory instead of the Tomcat one even though
the user.dir is set to Tomcat.  Further, when startmode=java the stop service on tomcat6w.exe
returns successful after a long wait, but the Tomcat server is still actually running.  I
have to manually kill the Java process that Tomcat is running in.  My choices seem to be having
a non-functional Tomcat or an unstable one.

I wrote a cheap JSP that dumps out all the session, request and system properties.  I've ruled
all the differences out that I could (server lib path, classpath, etc).  The only one I couldn't
was:

Property: "sun.java.launcher"  value = "SUN_STANDARD"

My first question is why does the startmode make such a difference in the behavior of Tomcat?
 Secondly, how can I either stabilize startmode=java or better yet get startmode=jvm working?

Kevin L. Stewart
Sr. Software Lead, GOES V3
Constellation Software Engineering
NASA GSFC, Code 417