tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Treitlinger <ttreitlin...@gmail.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.5.23 request.getAttribute("foo") returns unexpected NULL
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:25:36 GMT
Hello,

I have a number of JSP pages which use the JSTL core library to set a
request attribute like this:
<c:set var="foo" scope="request" >FOO-VALUE</c:set>

The JSPs then forward to a Servlet like this:
<jsp:forward page="/request.go" />

The Servlet later invokes
String s = (String) request.getAttribute("foo")

At this point I would expect s to be "FOO-VALUE". However after
running without any problem for days, request.getAttribute("foo")
suddenly starts returning NULL, causing NullPointerExceptions later
on.

The application was running in Tomcat 5.5.23 (Linux/Slackware) for
approx 10 days until these exceptions started occurring. After they
had started, they were happening for every single HTTP request. After
a Tomcat restart, the exceptions just continued as before, so we had
to failover to a different machine.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Regards,
Tom