tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "B. Balakrishna Rao" <balakrishna_...@persistent.co.in>
Subject RE: Memory leak in using SSL with Tomcat 6.0.18
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 10:54:10 GMT
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried reading the change log. It appears that in Tomcat 6.0.20 there is a fix related to
memory leak using SSL.
What I am thinking is that if this is the issue with the Tomcat 6.0.18 or an issue with my
application.
Can you confirm if there is a memory leak issue exists in using SSL with tomcat 6.0.18 on
Linux environment which similar to my problem? It helps me concentrate on upgrading the Tomcat
in my production.
Please let me know if you need any further details about my environment.

Thanks,
Bala.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 4:18 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Memory leak in using SSL with Tomcat 6.0.18

On 04/08/2010 10:49, B. Balakrishna Rao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Tomcat<http://www.coderanch.com/forums/f-56/Tomcat> 6.0.18 on Linux
environment(Red hat Linux) for our production.
> We have enabled SSL by deploying SSL certificates. We observed that, over a period of
time, the memory consumption is increasing and we are facing serious performance issues.
> I have taken a heap dump and analyzed it using Eclipse<http://www.myeclipseide.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-1.html>
Memory analyzer. What I found was, com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl objects are
never Garbage collected.
> The leak report by Memory analyzer is as follows:
> 2,996 instances of com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl", loaded by "<system
class loader>" occupy 219,843,760 (62.76%) bytes
> Upon drilling down, these objects are being held by finalizer method of GC.
> I have got the following similar link:
> http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5266266
>
> Can anybody tell me if there is any memory leak issues exists with Tomcat 6.0.18? I read
somewhere that, the memory leak issue with SSL was fixed on 6.0.20.

Have you tried reading the changelog?

Mark

DISCLAIMER
any liability for virus infected mails.