tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "B. Balakrishna Rao" <balakrishna_...@persistent.co.in>
Subject Memory leak in using SSL with Tomcat 6.0.18
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:49:16 GMT
Hi,

We are using Tomcat<http://www.coderanch.com/forums/f-56/Tomcat> 6.0.18 on Linux environment(Red
hat Linux) for our production.
We have enabled SSL by deploying SSL certificates. We observed that, over a period of time,
the memory consumption is increasing and we are facing serious performance issues.
I have taken a heap dump and analyzed it using Eclipse<http://www.myeclipseide.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-1.html>
Memory analyzer. What I found was, com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl objects are
never Garbage collected.
The leak report by Memory analyzer is as follows:
2,996 instances of com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl", loaded by "<system class
loader>" occupy 219,843,760 (62.76%) bytes
Upon drilling down, these objects are being held by finalizer method of GC.
I have got the following similar link:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5266266

Can anybody tell me if there is any memory leak issues exists with Tomcat 6.0.18? I read somewhere
that, the memory leak issue with SSL was fixed on 6.0.20.

Balakrishna Rao | Senior Software Engineer | Persistent Systems
balakrishna_rao@persistent.co.in<mailto:balakrishna_rao@persistent.co.in>  | Cell: +91
9704373579 | Tel: +91 (40) 30875030
Innovation in software product design, development and delivery- www.persistentsys.com<http://www.persistentsys.com/>

DISCLAIMER