tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Best practices for deployment on cluster environment
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:03:54 GMT
Luca Gervasi wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 10:50 -0300, Fernando Morgenstern wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Tomcat cluster environment with 4 servers. I was wondering that is the best
way to deploy an application on 4 servers at the same time.

>> At a first moment, i thought about having a script that would copy war files to all
servers using rsync. Basically i upload the war file to the first server and them use this
script to copy to other tomcat servers.

>> Could you share your experience with this kind of environment? Is this the best way
to deal with deployment?

>> Thank you,
>>
>> Fernando M. Morgenstern
>>

> In such enviroment i think that you should deploy once in the NAS/SAN (i
> mean, unpack the war) and use the shared filesystem in ro in each
> istance.
>
> Btw i'm pretty interested in more answers :)

And I believe that this is bad advice (but I am also willing to be contradicted).
Suppose you do this, and one Tomcat notices and starts redeploying the application.
What about the other ones which are in the process of serving requests, and would suddenly

find a missing or changed servlet under their nose ?
At least, you would need some kind of mechanism to tell all Tomcats : wait a minute, do
not process any more requests to this application while it is being redeployed, no ?