tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to spwan child processes.
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:26:51 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
> On 23 August 2010 21:56, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> and can someone finally explain what "spwaning child processes" means ?
>>

> It's a UNIXism - a fork() call spawns a child process from a parent
> process.  Not sure how much further back it goes into the deep, dark and
> slightly dank dungeon of operating system history.

Cambridge on-line dictionary :

spawn verb (START)
[T]  to cause something new, or many new things, to grow or start suddenly

spawn verb ( EGGS )
[I] to produce eggs

I believe that both definitions apply somewhat in this case.

But, talking of dank dungeons, I was referring - in jest - to "spwan" in the thread
subject, which sounds more like some English medieval form of child (or in this case
kitten) abuse.