tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Mapping REST requests across multiple app contexts
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2010 14:01:54 GMT
Ken Fox wrote:
> Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com wrote:
>
>> If you place the standard rewrite filter in the ROOT context, you can catch
>> any requests that do not directly map to the appropriate webapp and forward
>> or redirect them appropriately.
>>

> I looked at UrlRewriteFilter and it seemed designed for forwarding within a
> context, not between contexts. Can it forward from ROOT to a context loaded
> by a Host finding the app in its appBase? I don't have Context declarations
> for my apps and I'd really like to maintain isolation between them.
>
> The advantage of doing context mapping in a Valve is that the context switch
> can happen very early in the request and before any host-specific code runs.
> I'm not concerned about portability--this is a very small amount of code and
> it's fine to rewrite it entirely if I switch containers.

Just suggesting other scenarios here.
You could also run Tomcat behind a front-end Apache httpd, and let the front-end do the
rewriting before forwarding to Tomcat.  This could have the advantage, should the load on

your site become heavier, to also use the one front-end with several back-end Tomcats,
whether load-balancing between them or just splitting the sites.
The other advantage is that you do not need to write any code.  URL-rewriting and proxying

are already part of the standard Apache httpd.
And, this is a configuration already used at tens of thousands of sites, so one could say

that the relevant code is pretty stable.
And it would remain perfectly portable.