tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Configure read/write-access in TomCat
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:56:27 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 18/08/2010 13:32, André Warnier wrote:
>> What do you mean by "write" ?  There is nothing in tomcat itself which
>> allows users to write anywhere on the server.
>
> I know I am coming late to this thread but to be pedantic that is not
> correct.

The above was written with the intention of not confusing the OP more than necessary.
But I could have written : There is nothing enabled by default in Tomcat itself..

> Tomcat supports HTTP PUT (implemented in the default Servlet) but it is
> disabled by default for the obvious security reasons.

And enabling it would force the Tomcat team to decide on the exact semantics of a PUT.
I remember some discussion about this a while ago, in relation to SOAP or REST if my
memory serves.
;-)

> Also, if you enable the WebDAV Servlet, you have even more options to
> add content to the server.

That on the other hand was clearly mentioned.