tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <tomcat-us...@list-post.mks-mail.de>
Subject Re: Configure read/write-access in TomCat
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:17:10 GMT
18.08.2010 16:55, André Warnier:

> Pid wrote:

>>> It's a bit more than that, actually.  The contents of conf/web.xml are logically
merged into a webapp's own WEB-INF/web.xml when the webapp is deployed.  Changing conf/web.xml
effectively changes every deployed webapp, which is rarely desirable.

>> N.B.  It's well commented and worth reading.
>>

> Would you gurus mind pointing out where exactly ?
>
> I am looking at the online documentation of Tomcat 7, at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html,
> and not finding it.

From
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Introduction

| Context elements may be explicitly defined:
|
|     * In the $CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml file: the Context element
information will be loaded by all webapps.
| [...]

> I am also having trouble finding it in the Servlet Specifications v 3.0

AFAIK that's Tomcat-specific and has nothing to do with the spec.

> (I mean specifically where it says that the "default" web.xml is being merged with the

> application-specific web.xml.)
>
> If you refer to the content itself of the conf/web.xml file, here is all it has to say
:

> <!-- ======================== Introduction ============================== -->
>    <!-- This document defines default values for *all* web applications      -->
>    <!-- loaded into this instance of Tomcat.  As each application is         -->
>    <!-- deployed, this file is processed, followed by the                    -->
>    <!-- "/WEB-INF/web.xml" deployment descriptor from your own               -->
>    <!-- applications.                                                        -->
>    <!--                                                                      -->
>
> For example, it does not clearly speak of merging,

Well, Chuck simply used the term "merge" to explain how things are.
Of course, since it's Chuck, it could be seen as a specification ;-)

> nor in case of merge which possibly
> overlapping or conflicting directive has precedence (one wopuld presume the webapp, but

> then presumptions are sometimes misleading).

I didn't find that explicitly stated in the docs either.

--
Regards
  mks