tomcat-users mailing list archives

From paul womack <pwom...@papermule.co.uk>
Subject Re: role of the various threads?
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:34:59 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: paul womack [mailto:pwomack@papermule.co.uk]
>> Subject: Re: role of the various threads?
>>
>> Further reading has shown me that I'm using Tomcat5.5,
>> and that the theads (above) are all running accept().
>>
>> I thought accept() was blocking?
>
> Depends on the particular JRE being used on the particular platform.  I would expect
them to be blocking in most instances, but some esoteric systems use polling.  You're getting
down to a level that requires examination of not just Tomcat source code, but also JRE source
and the platform's TCP/IP stack source - a bit beyond the normal scope of a support forum.

It appears that hprof is counting blocked threads
(since that *is* what the program is "doing"
for some meanings of "doing").

So the threads are "doing" accept() but not actively
consuming cycles whilst running accept().

Sigh. Thanks, hprof.

    BugBear