tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Buning <bun...@kicktipp.de>
Subject few slow requests
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:55:53 GMT
Hello,

we tested our tomcat 5.5 server (Debian system) with the apache
benchmark tool. We send requests for a small png-file (300 bytes).
Nearly all requests were done in 0 or 1 milliseconds. But there were a
few request which needed more than 10 ms and the slowest request needed
106 ms.

the 106 ms is logged in the access log file. We used the %D pattern for
the request time in millis.

It seems not to be a network problem. We can see the same behavior with
a remote and a localhost test. Nevertheless, does anybody know, when
tomact exactly starts and stop the time for logging the request?

We did  A similar test with the YourKit Java Profiler, but can't find a
reason for the slow requests, too. The time for "all threads" and for
"java.lang.Thread.run" was less than the time for the longest request.
The Garbage Collector was not active while testing.

So, we want to know, why there are a few request that took so much more
time than the rest of the requests. Has anybody an idea where the time
can be consumed?

Thanks for any reply!

Regards
Peter