tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Rewrite URLs inside HTML pages?
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 08:00:57 GMT
On 02.08.2010 06:31, Leon Kolchinsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've configured Tomcat (apache-tomcat-5.5.26) to run behind Apache Http
> (v.2.2.3 ) using mod_jk.
>
> We have 2 of those Tomcat servers running on different machines.
> We also configured load balancer (CISCO CSM) which we want to use for SSL
> offloading and LB.
>
> Load balancer serves https requests and forwards them to http (on the above
> servers).
>
> The problem is that links given by apache - the generated html pages (by
> Sakai app.)  appeared to include http://....
> And this is a major problem since we can't even serve forms from https URL's
> (the URL of the page is https://..... but links inside the HTML page itself
> are from http://.... format)
>
> I've been thinking to try to resolve this with ProxyHTMLURLMAp
> (mod_proxy_html) but I have no experience with this module.
>
> Can someone give me a sample syntax that I can try to include in my vhost
> configuration?
>
> Below is my virt. host configuration:
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName servername.com
> ServerAdmin Leon.K@servername.com
> ServerAlias sakai-server
>
> # if not specified, the global error log is used
> ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/servername.com-error_log
> CustomLog /var/log/httpd/servername.com-access_log combined
> HostnameLookups Off
> UseCanonicalName Off
>
> # Add index.jsp to DirectoryIndex files
> DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php4
> index.php3 index.phtml index.cgi index.jsp
>
> JkMount /* worker1

It might be worthwhile finding out, why sakai produces wrong links. E.g.
if you are using mod_jk to connect Apache to Tomcat, and you are talking
HTTPS to Apache, then the calls the isSecure(), getScheme(),
getProtocol() will return the information as seen by Apache, so the
webapp is able to find out that https is used and it seems to be a bug
in sakai.

See for instance:

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/proxy.html

If you are using http between Apache and Tomcat (not AJP13), then there
are connector settings for Tomcat to let the webapp know, that you are
actually using HTTPS on the proxy.

If you can't fix it like this but instead really have to parse response
pages and replace links in them, three Apache module choices are
mod_proxy_html (which you already mentioned), mod_substitute and mod_sed.

Regards,

Rainer