tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tobias Crefeld ...@cataneo.eu>
Subject Re: 64 bit version for linux
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 12:28:02 GMT
Am Mon, 9 Aug 2010 04:52:55 -0700 (PDT)
schrieb Angelo Chen <angelochen960@yahoo.com.hk>:

> the standard tomcat(apache-tomcat-6.0.20.tar.gz) is running in a 64
> bit version of Centos. so can my app use memory bigger than 4G? I

Which JVM-version does your Tomcat use? IIRC there are different
defaults for different versions of CentOS. Maybe
 "yum list installed |grep ^java"
or
 "yum list installed |grep ^jdk"
helps.

I would download last JDK for Linux/x64 at
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp, install it and set the
correct path, for example: "JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/latest;export JAVA_HOME"
before starting Tomcat.

Maybe defaults of JVM have changed but AFAIK you have to set some
additional JAVA_OPTS-parameters to use 64bit and more RAM. We are using
a scriptlet like the following on our larger machines as part of the
catalina.sh or start-stop-wrapper for catalina.sh:

------------------------schnipp------------------------
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-server
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-d64
# Speicherlimit nur bei Aufruf von run, debug oder start auf 3 GB oder mehr hochsetzen
case "$1" in
start|run|debug)
     # Fuer 32-Bit-Betrieb die naechsten beiden Zeilen auf 3072k aendern
     JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-Xms6000m
     JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-Xmx11000m
;;
stop)
     JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-Xms600m
     JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-Xmx600m
;;
esac

> believe the 2G is the limit for 32 bit version of Linux.

3GB is a possible limit for 32bit.

Regards,
 Tobias.