tomcat-users mailing list archives

From pu...@web.de
Subject Own Logging Handler not closing correctly
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:20:26 GMT
Tomcat: 6.0.29
OS: Mac OS
Java: 1.5

I wrote an own java.util.logging.Handler to get the logs over the network. The handler is
configured via "myWebapp/WEB-INF/classes/logging.properties" and is working very well. The
handler uses some threads to do his job. I used the close()-Method to interrupt them. But
when shutting tomcat down or doing an undeploy I always get messages like this:

-------
23.08.2010 23:43:14 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreadsSEVERE:
The web application [/testWebapp] appears to have started a thread named [Thread-2] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
23.08.2010 23:43:14 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreadsSEVERE:
The web application [/testWebapp] appears to have started a thread named [Thread-2] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
-------

Theses threads were started by the handler and can not be stopped by tomcat. Interestingly
the cose()-Methode of my handler - where the handler would kill these threads - gets called
after theses messages...

I don't really know how to understand these messages? Why are theses messages produced before
calling the close() Method of the handler?

Thanks a lot!