tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Goren Il <gore...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How to call an external class from a webapp (i.e. - implement a plugin)
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 06:25:47 GMT

  so the basic idea is:
1. Define an interface (WSDL or named parameters for a "post" message)
2. Enable specifying the URL of the plugin in the context of the webapp
3. As part of the flow, call that URL with the defined format

Did I follow your thought?

It seems like an overhead in terms of performance, but if there is no other possibility -
this is what we shall do.
Thanks

On 06-Jul-10 18:15, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Goren Il [mailto:gorenil@hotmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How to call an external class from a webapp (i.e. -
>> implement a plugin)
>>
>> Aren't there other webapps that have plugin capabilities?
> The philosophy of the servlet spec is to have self-contained webapps, so plugins aren't
really catered for.  (Might be something in the 3.0 spec, but I haven't really studied it
yet.)

> As an alternative to direct class calls, can you package the add-on as a separate context
and reference it via forwarding or as a web service?