tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikita Tovstoles <>
Subject Re: using Servlet Filter to rewrite domain of JSESSIONID cookie?
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 22:37:55 GMT
I borrowed "sub-domain" from Google Analytics terminology. I have one
server, running one tomcat instance with one virtual host. That host is
running one app - a JS/html widget that is embedded on multiple sites.

We need to track usage per-deployment (per site embedding the wiget). For
(google) analytics purposes, the easiest way to do so is to have a different
(sub)domain per deployment. So the same tomcat instance is responding to
requests for,, etc.

a user may interact with 2 widget deployed on 2 different sites (and thus
served from different (sub)domains) within 30 minutes. It is for this case
that we want user to share the same HttpSession:

- go to some site A where our widget is deployed at
- go to some other site B where our widget is deployed at
- reuse the same JSESSIONID because its' domain is set to ""

Make sense?