tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:24:19 GMT
> From: Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov]
> Subject: WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
>
> I looked at the source for WebappClassLoader:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/
> org/apache/catalina/loader/
> and I see that Tomcat is trying to terminate the thread
> that the apnxy web app started.

Which means Tomcat is trying to recover from sloppy programming in the webapp.  It's the webapp's
responsibility to manage all threads it creates, including terminating them when the webapp
is stopped.

> What is the correct way to make connections to things that
> are not data sources in Tomcat?  Can Tomcat manage the
> connection information (machine name, domain, user, password)?

No, Tomcat cannot do that - there's nothing in the servlet spec that provides for that.  (But
check the 3.0 spec and Tomcat 7 - I haven't studied them yet.)  It's up to the webapp to deal
with outbound connections, and manage them properly to avoid resource leaks.  Various 3rd-party
libraries are available to help with that.

 - Chuck