tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How to call an external class from a webapp (i.e. - implement a plugin)
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:15:05 GMT
> From: Goren Il [mailto:gorenil@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: How to call an external class from a webapp (i.e. -
> implement a plugin)
>
> Aren't there other webapps that have plugin capabilities?

The philosophy of the servlet spec is to have self-contained webapps, so plugins aren't really
catered for.  (Might be something in the 3.0 spec, but I haven't really studied it yet.)

As an alternative to direct class calls, can you package the add-on as a separate context
and reference it via forwarding or as a web service?

 - Chuck