tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How is Apache Documentation organized
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:28:10 GMT
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> 2010/7/20 Pid <pid@pidster.com>:
>> If you mean Apache HTTPD rather than Apache Tomcat, then you'll want:
>>
>>  http://www.apache.org/
>
> Do you mean:
> http://httpd.apache.org/

No, I believe he really meant
http://www.apache.org/

Considering the question of the OP, it seemed to be a very generic question, not
particularly specific to the httpd server or Tomcat.
Considering the premise "if some one comes with complete zero experience of web
hosting..", then I would add : start with the HTTP RFC (Google for "http rfc 2616").
Then go to www.apache.org, and maybe start with httpd.
Then if you want to really learn about how Apache does things internally (as opposed to
just its configuration), my suggestion would be here :
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#HTTP_Request_Cycle_Phases
(This is part of the mod_perl documentation, but it is at the same time the best
introduction to the Apache httpd internals which I know of).
Then if Tomcat is your main point of interest, grab yourself a copy of the Java Servlet
Specification.  It is dense, but fairly readable, and a must before you really start
dabbling with Tomcat.
Then go to tomcat.apache.org and read the documentation.
At the end of that, you'll already know more than most people on this forum.