tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: problems start cyclos in Tomcat with secutrity manager
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:34:58 GMT
stefan-b wrote:
> Hello,
> I hope you can help.
>
> I've installed cyclos (http://project.cyclos.org) on my tomcat5.5 running on
> debian lenny on amd64Bit Machine.
> A Mail to the Cyclos Team itself gets no answer since a week and the Cyclos
> Forum is nearly dead :(
>
> With an disabled security manager all works fine.
> The Manager was disabled in /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5

To make a long story short, I do not think that there is any problem in disabling the
security manager, if you trust the webapps that you install on your server.
It is another matter entirely if you are going to allow other people to load and install
webapps on it.
Finding out which specific permissions you need to grant to an application which you do
not entirely know, can be a long and frustrating experience, and may well come to the same

thing anyway in the end, given a complex application.