tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: 404 with mod_jk
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:28:52 GMT
Michael Powe wrote:

> To install mod_jk, I resorted to my good friend Google, and used a
> tutorial to set up the connector.  In that tutorial, the method used
> was to create a properties file (workers.properties) which set up the
> worker `worker1'.

> I'm installing a clean version of Apache, built from httpd.apache.org
> sources, in /usr/local in order to get around all the weird (IMO)
> configuration for the version installed in Ubuntu by default.  At this
> point, I've fiddled so many things I've lost track of where I'm at.
> Sometimes, when you can't get something to work, it's best to return
> to first principles.

I will not often say this, but I believe your problems may stem from the above, and that
you would do better by using the pre-packaged versions of things (except Tomcat)
.
1) it is hard to judge the correctness of a tutorial found on Google.
The mod_jk instructions on the mod_jk pages of the Tomcat website are pretty good, and
they are at least accurate and up-to-date.

2) the standard Apache packages for Debian and Ubuntu are quite good, and a lot easier to

install and maintain than working everything out from scratch.
I suggest the following order :
apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
(then Tomcat, but for Tomcat, I suggest installing it from the Tomcat site distribution)
apt-get install apache2
apt-get install libapache2-mod-jk
(the last 2 work out of the box and take max. 3 minutes altogether)

Then you just need to add a "workers.properties" file and your JkMount mappings, and
you'll be up and running in no time.

The "weird configuration" things you are mentioning for Apache, are quite easy to follow
once you get over the initial surprise, and are actually a clever way to facilitate
enabling/disabling modules and virtual hosts.
I offer to explain summarily, maybe off-list, if you have trouble there.

This all does not mean that it would not be interesting to find out where your current
problem is.  But as Konstantin and/or Rainer mentioned, I believe the first thing would be

to get out of the auto-configure thing.  I do not believe that this part has been well
maintained since quite a while now.