tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: setenv.sh and CATALINA_BASE
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:40:48 GMT
Rainer Frey wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 12:17:40 André Warnier wrote:
>> Rainer Frey wrote:

>>> in catalina.sh

>>> [reason: using CATALINA_BASE in setenv.sh]
>>>
>> So the question was in order to make sure that we were talking about one of
>> the "official" Tomcat scripts, and trying to figure out when it is
>> invoked.
>>
>> This is still not so certain in your case : how do you start Tomcat, and do
>> you know exactly which non-Tomcat and yes-Tomcat scripts are being called,
>
> I thought that tar.gz-Download was clear enough. Yes this is the official
> download from tomcat.apache.org. Nothing else  is involved.
>
>> in what order ? (under Linux, probably start with /etc/init.d/tomcatxx,
>> and see what it does).
>
> As I didn't mention anything apart the <quote>supplied scripts</quote>, there

> is no non-Tomcat script. (A reason that I didn't mention Linux in the first
> mail: people start to assume unmentioned things like init scripts or
> distribution packages ... ;) )
>
>> All this to say that, depending on your Tomcat version and origin,
>> setenv.sh /may/ not be the best place to define CATALINA_BASE.
>
> No! I want to *USE* CATALINA_BASE in my setenv.sh, not define it. I'll try to
> explain again:
> catalina.sh
>  * tests if CATALINA_BASE/bin/setenv.sh exists and sources it
>  * otherwise tests if CATALINA_HOME/bin/setenv.sh exists and sources it
>  * then tests if CATALINA_BASE is empty and, if so, sets
> CATALINA_BASE=$CATALINA_HOME
>
> I want to know the config directory of the Tomcat instance in my setenv.sh.
> The way things are I need to check whether CATALINA_BASE is set, and if not,
> use CATALINA_HOME as base directory.
>
> If catalina.sh would first set CATALINA_BASE to CATALINA_HOME if not set to
> anything else, I could always sue CATALINA_BASE in setenv.sh.
>
> So my question is: are things done the way theyare for a reason, or is this an
> oversight that can be fixed? (in which case I could make a patch and open an
> issue to change that)
>
>> I have not
>> verified, but if catalina.sh looks for setenv.sh in $CATALINA_HOME/bin,
>> then obviously it isn't, if your intention is to run several instances of
>> Tomcat sharing the same bin directory.
>
> No idea how you could imply that from my question. My intention is to have a
> common way to refer to the config directory in setenv.sh in single- and
> multiple-instance (with separate bin-directories) setups.

Usually, people get concerned about CATALINA_BASE when they want to run several instances

of Tomcat.  And the whole point of running several instances of Tomcat, is to /share/
CATALINA_HOME/bin between these instances. (Otrherwise, one might as well install Tomcat
several times in separate CATALINA_HOME dirs).
That's maybe why I am a bit confused now..