tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Tomcat 7.0, logging configuration
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 21:32:58 GMT
Hi.

I notice in the online doc of Tomcat 7.0, page
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html
at the end of the first big box on the page, this paragraph :

# For example, set the com.xyz.foo logger to only log SEVERE
# messages:
#org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.level = FINE
#org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.level = FINE
#org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.level = FINE

I am far from an expert in Tomcat logging (*), but it seems to me that this section is
rather nonsensical.  I believe the same section is also part of the logging.properties
file distributed with Tomcat.
..and has been distributed with Tomcat since at least version 5.0, in the same apparently

nonsensical way.

Might not this 7.0 release be the perfect occasion to make it more sensical, or retire it
?

(*) which is why I was perusing that page, in the forlorn hope of getting more enlightened