tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat /manager not working
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 10:50:49 GMT
Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I downloaded tomcat 5.5.29 and tried to access an application
> http://<IP of Tomcat server>:8080/manager
> which the doc says
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/deployment.html
> that it is included and deployed by default it did not showed me any
> thing did I miss any thing.

When you access http://yourhost:8080
you should get the standard Tomcat homepage.
On the left, there is a link to the Manager application.
It should show that the correct URI for the "manager homepage" is "/manager/html"

That is because :
- navigate to tomcat_dir/server/webapps/manager/WEB-INF
- edit the file web.xml
- in the servlet-mapping paragraphs, you will see one like this :
   <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>HTMLManager</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>/html/*</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

If you want to be able to call the Manager homepage with the URL "/manager", then you
should add one section like this :

   <servlet-mapping>
     <servlet-name>HTMLManager</servlet-name>
     <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

and restart Tomcat.

This change, in effect, makes HTMLManager be the "default servlet" for the Manager
application.

I have no idea if this triggers secondary unwanted effects.

If it does not however, then I would respectively suggest to the Tomcat developers to
incorporate this as a standard servlet-mapping for the Manager, since the other one is a
bit un-intuitive.