tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: what is document root in Tomcat
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:02:34 GMT
Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Pid <pid@pidster.com> wrote:
>
>> What does it say in the installation documents for Sakai?  Does it
>> tell you where to install the files?
> That is the problem on this page
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Install+Guide+-+Binary+Install+(2.7)
> section 3.0 It says
> "If you wish to configure a binary installation you'll need to
> manually create a /sakai folder in $CATALINA_HOME to hold your
> sakai.properties file."
>
> Now I created /sakai in $CATALINIA_HOME
>
> as the doc says in $CATALINIA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
> I execute this script and then check
> echo $CATALINA_HOME
>
> I do not get any thing as output.

Tapas,
I really think that you need first to have a look at the on-line documentation of Tomcat,

at http://tomcat.apache.org.
This user's help list is not really a substitute for the online documentation, and nobody

here really has the time to teach you the basics.
And nobody here knows confluence per se, so you should ask them for more help with the
deployment of their applications under Tomcat.

As pid already mentioned, Tomcat is also a webserver, but it is quite different from
Apache httpd, and the way pages and applications are organised under Tomcat is quite
different from Apache httpd.  Tomcat is primarily a Java servlet engine, so its main
function is to run Java servlets.

For just a bit more information :
go to the same directory where you executed "startup.sh", and run "version.sh".
You can then paste the result here, and someone may be able to help you a bit more.
But not much..