tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Getting a servlet to work within static pages
Date Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:42:22 GMT
David Kerber wrote:
> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> On 7/3/2010 9:24 PM, David Kerber wrote:
>>
>>> Yep, that's basically what's going on:  /ginp is the root of the ginp
>>> context on my web site, and my ROOT context won't reach across the
>>> context boundaries.  Unfortunately, the ginp project is written to be
>>> build into a standalone .war file rather than a library .jar and a set
>>> of front-end classes, and I'm having to do a bit of futzing around to
>>> get the bits I need to work in my ROOT context, but I'm getting there.
>>> It would require a major refactoring to get the http pieces of ginp
>>> separated out from the parts that could be in a library .jar file, and
>>> I'm not ready to tackle that right now.  So I'm looking at some kind of
>>> deployment script to copy the .tld and other config files I need into
>>> the correct spots in my ROOT context.
>>>

>> Maybe you could just merge your stuff into the /ginp webapp? That might
>> be simpler.
>>
> That may be what I'll end up doing for the short term, but ultimately
> I want to get ginp matured into a properly embeddable library.  I'm
> still playing with it, and it's a strictly spare-time project, go it's
> hard to predict where it will go and when it will get there.

Getting this to work for now turned out to be fairly easy, though a bit
of a kludge.  I tweaked one of the tag classes slightly, copied the
entire web-inf/classes hierarchy from the exploded .war file in the ginp
context, into the same spot in ROOT, copied a few configuration files
over, and it all started working almost the way I want.  It's not
perfect yet, but it's getting there.

Thanks for the comments, Pid and Chris; they gave me a good starting point.