tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:36:07 GMT
>>From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>>Subject: Re: Multiple Tomcat Instances
>>
>> The other part that is confusing me is that what if all users are
>>running a "process" of Tomcat at the same time, I'm assuming they all
>>have to use a separate HTTP port and shutdown port?
>>>
>>You are not confused here. That is correct.
>>If you have several Tomcat /instances/ (actually, they will be instances of java,
running Tomcat),
>> not two of them can open the same server port at the same time.
>>If you are running one single instance of Tomcat (of java running Tomcat) with several
>>"virtual hosts" defined in it, then there is only a single shutdown
>>port, and there /can/ be a single HTTP port shared by all virtual hosts (or, just
to add some
>>confusion, there can also be several ports :-)).

RUNNING.txt says:
"... Note that by default Tomcat will first try to load classes and JARs from
$CATALINA_BASE/lib and then $CATALINA_HOME/lib. You can place instance specific
JARs and classes (e.g. JDBC drivers) in $CATALINA_BASE/lib whilst keeping the
standard Tomcat JARs in $CATALINA_HOME/lib  ..."

The doc didn't mention that Tomcat will calculate a "relative" reference for files in /lib,
a few lines above this quote.  I'm assuming I also need a /lib directory in $CATALINA_BASE
then.

If I place copies(?) of bin, conf, logs, webapps, work and temp in my $CATALINA_BASE directory,
then how is that different from just downloading multiple Tomcat zip files and naming them
separately, changing the startup/shutdown ports on each?

The only thing I'm gaining is only needing the two files in my $CATALINA_BASE/bin  instead
of all the other files?  What else?  What was the deciding factor to be able to run multiple
Tomcat instances?

Leo